I know a lot of people don't like beets because they say beets taste like dirt. I prefer to call the flavor "earthy," and I think it's a good thing. Being partial to the color red, I also thing they're also about the prettiest vegetable in existence. This makes a big batch, and the leftovers keep well in the fridge for at least a week. I recommend storing them in glass since they'll stain plastic.
6-8 large beets, peeled
2 T apple balsamic or other high-quality balsamic vinegar
1 T + 1 t olive oil
1/4 t salt
1/4 t tarragon
a pinch black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Halve beets lengthwise, then slice crosswise in 1/4-1/3 inch thick slices.
- Toss beets with remaining ingredients in a covered casserole dish.
- Bake for about 90 minutes or until softened, stirring every 20 minutes or so.
- Serve hot, room temperature, or chilled.