This soup takes awhile to cook because the onions caramelize slowly in the oven, but it doesn't require too much hands-on labor.
3 large yellow onions, halved lengthwise then thinly sliced (6-7 cups)
3 heads garlic, peeled and sliced (about 1 cup)
3 T olive oil
1 t salt
1 t sugar
1/2 cup hot water
1/4 c miso
2 t cornstarch
3 loosely-packed cups sliced kale
3 c water
2 c low-sodium vegetable broth
1/2 c white wine
1 T nutritional yeast
1/8 t cayenne
a pinch black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, with a dutch oven or heavy, lidded casserole dish in the oven.
- When oven is hot, toss together onions, garlic, oil, sugar, and salt in the pre-heated dutch oven. Cover and bake for 2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes and adding a splash of water if the onions start to stick to the pan.
- When the 2 hours are up, whisk miso and cornstarch with 1/2 cup hot water until dissolved.
- Stir miso mixture and all remaining ingredients into the caramelized onion/garlic mixture. Cover, return to the oven, and bake 30-40 minutes.
- Serve hot with a side of crusty bread.