These empanadas use canned black beans, frozen corn, and jarred salsa for the filling, so making the dough is the only time commitment they require.
1 1/2 c whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 c cornmeal
1 t sugar
1 t baking powder
1 t salt
1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 t mustard powder (optional)
6 T margarine
1/2 c + 1 T almond milk
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
1/2 cup salsa
- Pulse together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, garlic, and mustard in a food processor until combined. Add margarine and almond milk and process until dough holds together. Knead dough a few times with your hands, then divide into 6 equal pieces. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- To make filling, mash beans lightly with a fork, then stir in corn and salsa.
- On a floured surface, roll each piece of dough into a 6-7 inch circle. Place about 1/3 cup of filling on half of each circle, leaving a 3/4-inch border. Fold dough over to enclose filling, and crimp with a fork to seal.
- Bake on a baking sheet for 20-25 minutes or until edges are golden. Let cool a few minutes before serving.