This is my husband's favorite dish, which he's been known to moan just thinking about...I don't make it often because it's so unhealthy and I lack the patience to fry tofu regularly. But yesterday was his birthday, so I whipped up an enormous batch, which I served with brown rice and a beautiful plum-glazed cinnamon-spice cake.
Walnut Tofu with Sweet Chili Sauce
2 blocks tofu, frozen, then thawed and drained, cut into 1 1/2-inch triangles.
oil for pan-frying
Sweet chili sauce (lots!)
lime juice or vinegar
liquid aminos or low-sodium soy sauce
about 2 cups walnut halves and/or pieces
vegetables if desired
- Fry tofu (easiest in a non-stick pan) in a few Tbsp of oil, turning at least once, until golden-brown. Set aside.
- Toast walnuts on stovetop or in toaster oven and set aside.
- Stir-fry vegetables (I recommend peppers and broccoli). Add walnuts and tofu, and completely coat with chili sauce. Season to taste with lime juice and soy sauce. Thin with a little water or vegetable broth if too thick.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
Cinnamon Spice Cake with Plum Glaze (makes two 8- or 9-inch round layers)
1 3/4 cups almond milk
2 t apple cider vinegar
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 c cornstarch
1 T + 1 t cocoa powder
1 1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t allspice
1/4 t nutmeg
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 scant t salt
2/3 c canola oil
1 1/3 cups sugar
3 T plum syrup (or plum jam blended until smooth)
2 T pomegranate liqueur
1 T + 1 t vanilla extract
1/2 t almond extract
- Whisk vinegar into almond milk and set aside.
- Whisk together all dry ingredients.
- Add syrup, liqueur, oil, and extracts to almond milk, then whisk wet and dry ingredients together until just combined.
- Pour into 2 oiled cake pans and bake about 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Let cool for a few minutes before removing from pan.
1 1/2 cups plum syrup or plum jam
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t vanilla
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2-1 T cornstarch, as needed
- Combine all ingredients in saucepan and cook over low heat until slightly thickened. Whisk in cornstarch to if not thick enough. Let cool slightly before spreading between layers and pouring over top of cake.