I didn't think pineapple-coconut week would be complete without a coconut cream pie. So I guess now pineapple-coconut week IS complete. Happy weekend to all!
1 pie crust, pre-baked
1 batch pineapple topping (recipe below)
1 1/2 c shredded, unsweetened coconut
1 can coconut milk (full fat, not "light")
1 1/4 c almond milk
3/4 c firm silken tofu
2/3 c sugar
1/2 c cornstarch
1/2 t salt
1 t vanilla
- Toast coconut on a baking sheet in a 350° oven until golden-brown, about 6 minutes. Set aside.
- In a blender, blend together coconut milk, almond milk, tofu, sugar, cornstarch, and salt until completely smooth. Pour into a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and begins to bubble. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla, then stir in 1 cup of the toasted coconut.
- Pour into baked pie crust, and refrigerate for a few hours.
- Meanwhile, make pineapple topping (recipe below).
- When pie and topping have set, spread topping over pie, and sprinkle on the remaining 1/2 cup of toasted coconut.
1 20 oz. can crushed pineapple
1/3 c sugar
3 T cornstarch
1/8 t salt
1 T margarine
- Whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a small saucepan. Whisk in 2 T of juice from the pineapple until no lumps remain.
- Add remaining pineapple and its juices, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and begins to bubble.
- Remove from heat and whisk in margarine until smooth. Refrigerate for a couple hours before using.