My husband has a sweet tooth, so I made him a cake for Valentine's day. I thought it needed a little holiday flair, so after I baked it, I stabbed a heart into it. With a fork. Then, I smothered the thing in pomegranate syrup, which had the effect of making bloody pools around the stabbed heart. Yeah, I'm wildly romantic. But it tasted great. For the cake batter, I like to add a few teaspoons of cocoa powder to a vanilla base to make a not-quite-chocolate, not-quite vanilla flavor, which goes well with fruit-based toppings.
1 c almond milk
2 t apple cider vinegar
1/2 c vegetable oil
2 t vanilla extract
1/2 t almond extract
1 1/4 c flour
2 T cornstarch
2 t cocoa powder
3/4 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
3/4 c sugar
1/2 c pomegranate syrup or other fruit syrup, or jam if you prefer
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Whisk together wet ingredients.
- Whisk together dry ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, and stir until just combined.
- Bake for about 25 minutes.
- Let cool a bit, then remove from pan.
- (Stab stab stab a heart into it. If you like that sort of thing, or are just feeling stabby.)
- Cover the whole thing in fruit syrup and let the syrup soak in a little before devouring.