Singapore noodles are my favorite dish at Garden Fresh, my favorite vegan restaurant, and this was my first attempt to replicate them at home. Alas, they came out nothing like the restaurant ones, but they were still pretty good in their own right.
10 oz. rice vermicelli
1/2 a medium onion, very thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, pressed
1 green pepper, very thinly sliced
1 carrot, very thinly sliced
about 1 cup seitan, shredded
1/4-1/3 cup vegetable broth
1 T vegetarian oyster sauce or soy sauce
about 2 t curry powder
about 1 t fresh ginger, grated
2 T fermented black beans (if you have them on hand)
1 t sugar
1-2 T rice vinegar
- Soak noodles in very hot water until cooked through, about 15 minutes, then drain, run cool water over them, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, saute onion and garlic over medium heat for a few minutes. Add pepper, carrot, and seitan, and continue cooking until the vegetables are tender.
- Whisk together sauce ingredients.
- Toss noodles with a little vegetable oil, add them to the vegetable mixture, and stir-fry for a couple minutes.
- Add sauce, mix, and serve.