This has become the new Sunday night dinner at my house. It's basically lazy person's sushi, and it's also a good way to use up broken nori sheets. No recipe, really, just a technique:
- Cook rice.
- Prepare the veggies—I like paper-thin cucumber and carrot slices, lightly cooked bean sprouts, edamame, and cubes of avocado. I usually let the cucumber slices marinate in rice vinegar and sesame oil while the rice is cooking.
- Make a sauce of about 2.5 parts rice vinegar to 1 part liquid aminos (or soy sauce), a dash of agave or sugar, a dash of sesame oil, and plenty of fresh grated ginger.
- Crumble a few sheets of nori or cut it into strips.
- Mix the cooked rice with the sauce.
- It's prettier if you top bowls of rice with mounds of veggies, but you could also just mix it all together.
- Add the nori at the last minute, because it gets pretty sticky once it comes in contact with the moisture in the rice.