Not only does this recipe have an alliterative name, it also contains two of my favorite foods. Pesto and polenta belong together. Especially baked in a casserole dish and smothered in vegan cheese.
1 cup coarsely ground cornmeal
4 cups water
a dash oil
a dash salt
1-1.5 cups pesto ( I use basil, raw walnuts, plenty of nutritional yeast, and enough olive oil to make it hold together. I think coarsely-chopped pesto is best for this recipe)
3/4 of a block of Follow Your Heart mozzarella (or an equivalent amount of your favorite vegan cheese), grated
- Combine cornmeal and water in a saucepan. Add a dash of oil and some salt. Bring to a boil, stirring, then reduce heat to low and cook until thickened, about 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour into an oiled casserole dish, and put in the freezer for 20-30 minutes. Polenta should get very firm as it cools. You could also refrigerate it overnight at this point.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Spread pesto over polenta, top with cheese, and bake about 15 minutes.
- Broil for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
- Cut into wedges and serve piping hot.