Oranges, lemons, and wild blueberries give this marmalade an intense, not-too-sweet flavor. I'm generally a smoothie-for-breakfast girl, but now that I have this marmalade, I want to eat toast every day. (Note: this recipe assumes you already know how to safely can in a water bath canner. If you don't, here's a pretty good resource.)
2 medium-sized oranges
4 cups water
2 cinnamon sticks
4 cups frozen wild blueberries (or fresh if you're lucky enough to have them)
4 cups sugar
- Slice lemons and oranges in 1/8 inch thick slices (a mandoline works best for this), discarding the seeds as you go. Quarter the slices.
- In a stockpot, combine water, citrus slices, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a gentle boil, cover, and continue cooking at a gentle boil about 25 minutes.
- Add blueberries and return to a boil.
- Add sugar, bring to a rapid boil, and cook uncovered, stirring constantly, until mixture reaches its gel point, about 25 minutes.
- Ladle into clean, hot canning jars and process jars in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.