Thursday, November 4, 2010
Garlicky Gnocchi with Delicata Squash and Cauliflower
I'm a little ashamed to post a recipe that uses packaged gnocchi, especially after reading the tantalizing post from Vegan Soul Power about homemade sweet potato gnocchi. But shelf-stable, vacuum-packed gnocchi is great when you're short on time and you haven't had the foresight/motivation to make and freeze your own gnocchi ahead of time. Here's how I like to serve it:
Greens from 2-4 green onions, sliced
4-5 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
Salt and black pepper
1 small delicate squash, peeled and cut in 1-inch by ½-inch chunks
about 1 cup cauliflower florets, cut bite-sized
1 17.5-ounce package gnocchi
about 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
Nutritional yeast to taste
1. Heat about 3 T olive oil in a nonstick pan. Add onion greens and garlic and sauté until greens are slightly wilted, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
2. Saute or steam cauliflower and squash until tender.
3. Meanwhile, cook gnocchi according to package directions.
4. Toss gnocchi and garlic/onion mixture with squash and cauliflower. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Top with toasted walnuts and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast. (Garnish with broccoli if for some reason you want yours to match my photo. Weirdo.)
6. Beg for more.