Cucumbers are good for more than just salad! I created this recipe to showcase my home-grown cucumbers; if you're not lucky enough to have cucs in your garden this time of year, move to California. Or file this recipe away for next summer, whichever you think is best.
3 large cucumbers, halved lengthwise if desired, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
2 c walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 T mirin
2 T + 1 t white balsamic vinegar
3/4 t cornstarch
- Whisk together sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Over low heat, cook the garlic with a splash of olive oil in a wok or very large skillet for 2 minutes.
- Add walnuts and cook, stirring constantly, 2 more minutes.
- Raise heat to medium-high, add cucumbers, and continue to cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes.
- Add sauce and cook 1 minute.
- Add green onion and cook 1 more minute.
- Serve over your favorite cooked grain; I think quinoa goes well with this.