It took some effort to come up with a cake whose decadence could match last week's Caramel Coffee Cake, but I believe this S'mores cake fits the bill.
1 c flour
2/3 c sugar
1/3 c cocoa powder
3/4 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 c almond milk
1/3 c oil
1 t vanilla
4 graham cracker sheets, broken in small pieces
2 graham cracker sheets, broken in pieces
about 1 c marshmallows (I used Dandies)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. (Sift if your cocoa has a lot of clumps.)
- Add almond milk, oil, and vanilla, and stir until combined.
- Fold in graham cracker pieces.
- Pour into an oiled 9-inch round cake pan, and bake about 26-28 minutes or until cooked through. At this point, you can either let the cake cool and de-pan it onto a cookie sheet before proceeding, or if you're impatient as I was go ahead an top it and eat it hot out of the cake pan.
- Sprinkle marshmallows and graham cracker pieces on top of the cake, and put it under the broiler for a minute or two, turning if needed to brown the marshmallows evenly, keeping a close eye on it to make sure the marshmallows don't burn.
- Best served while topping is still warm.