These are dense, nutty morsels...probably more like a granola bar than your average cookie, but still darn tasty.
2 c rolled oats
1 c almonds
3/4 c + 1 T flour
1 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1/2 c agave nectar
1/4 c oil
1/4 c applesauce
zest of one large lemon
blueberry jam or preserves for filling
- In a food processor, blend oats into a coarse flour. Set aside in a mixing bowl.
- In food processor, pulse almonds until they form coarse crumbs. Add to oats, along with flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add agave, oil, applesauce, and lemon zest, and stir until all flour is incorporated. Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes to allow mixture to firm up.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll dough into walnut-sized balls, and place on oiled cookie sheets. (Dough will be sticky.) Press your thumb or the back of a spoon into the center of each ball to make an indentation. Fill each indentation with blueberry preserves.
- Bake about 15 minutes.