I don't think cheesecakes really require any introduction, so let's get straight to the recipe:
1/2 lb. ginger snap cookies
4 T margarine, melted
1 12.3 oz. package firm silken tofu
1 8 oz. tub vegan cream cheese (I like Follow Your Heart)
1 t vanilla
2/3 c sugar
1 T cornstarch
1 T tapioca starch (or more cornstarch)
1/4 c lemon juice
zest from 2 lemons
2 1/2 c frozen blueberries
3 T sugar
2 t lemon juice
3 T water
1 T cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To make crust, pulse together cookies and margarine in a food processor until the mixture forms coarse crumbs. Press into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Refrigerate while making the cake.
- To make cake, blend together all cake ingredients EXCEPT lemon zest in a food processor or high-power blender until very smooth. Pulse in lemon zest until just combined. Pour into prepared crust.
- Bake cheesecake for about 65 minutes or until sides are brown and top is just turning golden. Remove from oven and let cool at room temperature for 2-3 hours, then refrigerate overnight.
- Meanwhile, to make blueberry sauce, whisk together cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Heat blueberries, sugar, and lemon juice over medium heat in a small saucepan until the blueberries start to release their juices. Add cornstarch mixture to blueberries and continue to cook until simmering, stirring frequently. Simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes. Allow to cool at room temperature, then refrigerate until ready to use.
- To serve, remove side of springform pan from cheesecake, and top cake with blueberry sauce.