Rice crispy squares are a classic. This over-the-top version includes additions of chocolate, white chocolate, and peppermint extract.
1 10oz bag Dandies vegan marshmallows
1/4 c margarine
1/4 c cocoa powder
1/3 c chocolate chips
5 c crispy rice cereal
For peppermint coating:
1 300g bag vegan white chocolate chips
3 T soy creamer or soy or almond milk
1/2 t peppermint extract
- Thoroughly oil a 9x13 pan. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook margarine and marshmallows until the marshmallows start to melt, stirring constantly. Add the cocoa once the marshmallows start to melt, and continue to cook, stirring, until marshmallows are completely melted and cocoa is incorporated.
- Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips and cereal until well-combined, working as quickly as possible.
- Press mixture into prepared pan, and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes. Slice into squares.
- To make peppermint coating, combine chocolate chips, creamer, and peppermint extract in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on medium-low heat until chips are melted and mixture is smooth, stirring every 20-30 seconds.
- Dip tops or ends of rice crispy squares into coating, and set on a sheet of waxed paper to cool. If coating starts to thicken while you're dipping, return it to the microwave for a few seconds.
- Store cooled rice crispy squares in a covered container in the refrigerator.