Happy Halloween! Because we can't live on candy alone (although I may sometimes seem like I'm trying to), I decided today would be a good day for a nourishing savory dish. Although I rarely make curries, when I do I usually want them to include two things: lots of sauce for the rice to sop up, and big chunks of fresh pineapple.
1 package extra-firm tofu
2 1/2 c fresh pineapple chunks
1 1/2 c coconut milk
1 1/2 c vegetable broth
1 small onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/3 c chopped cilantro, plus extra for garnish
2 T red curry paste
1-2 thai chilis, minced, or chili paste to taste
1 T minced ginger
- In a nonstick pan, fry tofu over medium-high heat in a little oil until golden on both sides. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook ginger and curry paste in a little oil until fragrant, about 1 1/5 minutes.
- Raise heat to medium-high, add onion and celery, and continue to cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes or until onion is softened.
- Add bell peppers and continue to cook, stirring, for 2 more minutes.
- Add broth, pineapple, and chilis, and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in tofu and coconut milk, return to a simmer, and cook 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1/3 c cilantro. Serve over rice and garnish with more cilantro.