Cooking applesauce in the slow cooker lets you pretty much ignore it instead of having to watch and stir. Having a pot of apples with vanilla and cinnamon cooking for hours will also make your house smell fantastic. This recipe makes enough to fill about 4 pint jars.
4 lbs apples
1 c water
1/3 c brown sugar (adjust according to your taste and the sweetness of your apples)
1 T + 1 t lemon juice
1 t cinnamon
1 t vanilla extract
- Core and roughly chop apples.
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker.
- Cook about 1 hour on high heat, then stir, reduce heat to low, and continue cooking until apples are falling apart, about 2-3 hours.
- Mash with the back of a spoon or a potato masher. (I like to leave some chunks.
- Serve hot or allow to cool. Can be kept in the fridge for at least a week, or longer in the freezer.