I first came up with this recipe to make my husband's birthday cake last month, and he promptly declared it his favorite birthday cake ever. Granted, he says that every single year, but it's still a darn good cake.
2 c almond milk
1 T apple cider vinegar
2 1/2 c flour
1/4 c cornstarch
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
2/3 c oil
1 1/2 c sugar
1 T + 1 t vanilla extract
2 t peppermint extract
1 c chocolate chips, roughly chopped
1/2 c margarine
1/3 c shortening
1/2 c cocoa powder
1 t vanilla extract
1/4 t peppermint extract
1/4 c + 1 T almond milk
2 1/2 c powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir cider vinegar into almond milk and set aside to curdle.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Whisk sugar, vanilla, and peppermint extract into almond milk/vinegar mixture.
- Whisk wet and dry ingredients together, then fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter between 2 oiled 9" cake pans, and bake until done, about 30-34 minutes.
- Let cakes cool for about 5 minutes before inverting onto baking racks to finish cooling.
- Meanwhile, to make icing, beat together margarine and shortening, add cocoa powder, extracts, and almond milk until combined, then beat in powdered sugar at high speed until icing is fluffy.
- To assemble, sandwich the cake layers together with icing, then ice the edges and top.